Phinaticmultibanner
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Dolphins Next GM ?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dolphins Next GM ?

Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #1

ESPN has a poll going to see who the football fans think the Miami Dolphins new GM will be.

Ray Farmer - 23%

Brian Xanders - 26%

Lake Dawson - 8%

Jason Licht - 14%

Someone Else - 29%

Who do you want to see the Dolphins hire?

Is the person you want the Dolphins to hire as their next GM the same person you think they will hire?
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #2

• aquaaiea
  • Veteran
  • Family,Football,Fishing
Sounds about right. I'm torn between Farmer(actually was a Pro) who also knows talent seems like, and Xander who was GM of a great organization and is a team guy. Even licht and Dawson seems a close second. We are doing good with proven up&comers, hopefully due diligence pays off.
Who's baby is that? What's your angle? I'll buy that! ( Fred Flinstone )

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #3

• aquaaiea
  • Veteran
Don't get me wrong but I think the race card can be played both ways. Farmer being a retired Pro Linebacker with his size and being African American might have not only Smarts and Evaluation skills but also a great Physical presence that garners respect amongst athletes. I could be wrong.

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #4

I worried about that 29% for other, since I think the best candidates were mentioned in the poll. Hopefully the people who voted are wrong and one of those candidates is hired this weekend, because I want to move on from this and focus on the draft.

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #5

Xanders or Licht would be my choice... Either would be fine and it really doesn't matter than much as long as whoever gets the position can identify and procure starting talent, especially on offense.

In 5 years, Ireland has given us Tannehill, Hartline, and Pouncey as solid offensive picks. Clay, Miller, and Matthews may have some long term potential, but only flash here and there.

No matter who the guy is, he'll address the OLine, RBs, TE, and LBs. We're good with the Cap, and need linemen in a draft deep on the OLine and at RB. If he hits on a LB and TE, we're should be golden come next season.

I'm interested in Xanders newer approach. The Laird knows the traditional approach hasn't worked. I think Xanders sets up scouting systems and processes well, and has good concepts of value and risk control. He should bring important new concepts into the scouting process in this manner, and he appears to be a decent consensus builder considering how he allowed his coaches and FO staff help with the selections. These are things that are important for the position, especially given how critical it is to be on the same page as the coaches and the systems they employ.

Upcoming FAs we may need to replace:
Nolan Carroll
Brent Grimes
Tyson Clabo
Chris Clemons
Richie Incognito
John Jerry
Dustin Keller
Paul Soliai
Randy Starks
---------
Slainte!

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #6

I wonder if we may be waiting to interview someone on one of the 4 remaining teams like McGloughlin from the Seahawks.

Personally of the ones interviewed I like Xanders, then Farmer, then Licht, then Dawson. I do think all could be really good. Gregson (sp?) has done a very good job with Indy and most people had no idea who he was before he was hired. All of the great GM's started somewhere.

Xanders is the best fit IMO based on what Ross wants in an organization. He isn't a guy that wants total control, and from what I've read he is even keeled and doesn't get overly high or low. That seems like a guy that will fit and work well with Philbin.

Farmer is seasoned, and if he had any say in the Chiefs drafts he nailed some serious studs. That team had 6 pro bowl players last year despite winning just a couple games. I wouldn't have issues with him either.

What I really hope doesn't happen is we settle. If Ross isn't 100% blown away we should run with Gaine this year. If successful he and Philbin both contiue to run the ship. If we have another disappointing season, both are gone and we make a hard press for Gamble, McGloughlin, or another one of the guys that wants total control and spurned us this time around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cuchulainn

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #7

I am still wondering if the Dolphins are thinking of hiring BOTH candidates, Xanders and Farmer, which Xanders being the Vice President In Charge of Football Operations and Farmer being the General Manager. With Aponte being the Vice President of Football ADMINISTRATION, there would not be any conflict. AND, I would really like to get Petterson out of Ross' ear since that hasn't been working too well thus far.

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #8

• aquaaiea
  • Veteran
DolphinsFreak wrote:
I am still wondering if the Dolphins are thinking of hiring BOTH candidates, Xanders and Farmer, which Xanders being the Vice President In Charge of Football Operations and Farmer being the General Manager. With Aponte being the Vice President of Football ADMINISTRATION, there would not be any conflict. AND, I would really like to get Petterson out of Ross' ear since that hasn't been working too well thus far.

I like the both idea! I think they would make a great team.

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #9

• Dolfan1
I just don't like the way Ross is doing this. He hired a coach last year and expected him to mesh with the GM, now this year he wants to hire a GM and expect him to mesh with the coach and Aponte.

This is an assbackwards way to run a Football team and JMHO it's not gonna work. I see us struggling again this year and blowing the whole damn thing up next year so my answer is "It really doesn't matter" to me.
Now Residing in the State of Anticipation

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #10

Dolfan1 wrote:
I just don't like the way Ross is doing this. He hired a coach last year and expected him to mesh with the GM, now this year he wants to hire a GM and expect him to mesh with the coach and Aponte.

This is an assbackwards way to run a Football team and JMHO it's not gonna work. I see us struggling again this year and blowing the whole damn thing up next year so my answer is "It really doesn't matter" to me.

So true (and the problem many of us have had with this whole business!),, i guess he thinks he's changing things up this go-'round, though all he's doing is the same exact thing in reverse order..Kinda like when i watch Fins football; during the first half i rip my hair out and bang my head on the wall BUT then in the 2nd half i try something different by banging my head against the wall & then ripping my hair out!
'LIFE' is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #11

Not hiring a GM yet is a good thing. It's allowing me to savor that little a-hole getting his walking papers. "Was your mother a crack whore?" Unbelievable. Condescending, egotistical kicker as our GM. A kicker was our top man at assembling football talent. A kicker evaluating toughness. For crying out loud, the kicker is afraid of the punter. It can't get worse guys. Relax.

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #12

• Wulf
  • Veteran
cuchulainn wrote:

Nolan Carroll
Brent Grimes
Tyson Clabo
Chris Clemons
Richie Incognito
John Jerry
Dustin Keller
Paul Soliai
Randy Starks

The only members of that list I would want to keep are Grimes and Soliai, (maybe Starks, Clemmons, and Carroll too, if they aren't too expensive) I liked Dustin Keller, but the odds of his coming back after that injury seem pretty slim, and since Charles Clay stepped HIS game up, we might be in good shape to "stand pat" at TE again, as we did last year...

The entire OL besides Pouncey could be changed without much trouble, so it might be a good thing that Cog, Jerry, and probably Martin will be gone...
“He can take his'n and beat your'n
and take your'n and beat his'n”
― The late Bum Philips (about Don Shula)

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #13

• aquaaiea
  • Veteran
Wulf wrote:
cuchulainn wrote:

Nolan Carroll
Brent Grimes
Tyson Clabo
Chris Clemons
Richie Incognito
John Jerry
Dustin Keller
Paul Soliai
Randy Starks

<strong><em>The only members of that list I would want to keep are Grimes and Soliai, (maybe Starks, Clemmons, and Carroll too, if they aren't too expensive) I liked Dustin Keller, but the odds of his coming back after that injury seem pretty slim, and since Charles Clay stepped HIS game up, we might be in good shape to "stand pat" at TE again, as we did last year...

The entire OL besides Pouncey could be changed without much trouble, so it might be a good thing that Cog, Jerry, and probably Martin will be gone...
</em></strong>

Clemons and Carol if fair. Others are obvious. All that you mentioned I like.

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #14

Dolfan1 wrote:

It would be really hard for anyone to debate what you just posted. Ross has been doing things backwards since he got to Miami. One of the first backwards moves was when he tried to hire a head coach BEFORE firing the existing head coach. "Maybe" this works in the business world where every move you make isn't making headlines, but in the NFL they keep track of where you are going and why you are going there. It was a moronic move and it wasn't his first, nor his last. He is not a good owner. He may love the Dolphins but if he truly loves this team he would turn over all football decisions to someone who actually knows about the business side of football because Ross has proven to everybody that he is inept, and if Petterson is advising him on these matters, he is inept, too.

If you are going to clean house, then CLEAN HOUSE!! Do NOT to these partial house cleanings. It's ridiculous. Firing your GM and keeping the 99.9% of the coaching staff while promoting the previous GM's right hand person is ludicrous. I honestly don't know how they are getting anyone to interview for this position.

I just checked the DOlphins website to see if certain coaches are still employed and much to my dismay they are. (Turner and Taylor) This list has been updated to include "Lazor" as the Dolphins OC, but the interesting thing I did happen to catch was that they moved Turner and Taylor's names to the bottom of the coaching list, somewhere that their names were not located during the season. Does someone working on their website know something that we do not? Are they preparing to make their job easier by putting their names at the bottom so they can insert two new names in the near future? Some may say that they just rearranged the names in alphabetical order, but they didn't have this list in this order for two seasons so why did they decide to do it now?

It could be wishful thinking on my part but I really hope the new GM has the power to fire all of Sherman's guys. Strong teams are not built through friendships, friendships are built through strong teams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dolfan1

Re: Dolphins Next GM ? 9 months, 2 weeks ago #15

kelbail21 wrote:

It can't get worse guys. Relax.

Famous last words...You're a Fins fan, you should know..IT CAN ALWAYS GET WORSE,, AND MORE THAN LIKELY WILL!
'LIFE' is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dolfan1
  • Page:
Moderators: ONole1, Dolfan1
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds