Here's one to fire you up!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Here's one to fire you up!

Here's one to fire you up! 9 months, 2 weeks ago #1

• aquaaiea
  • Veteran
  • Family,Football,Fishing
Sure Xander's has a cool name, he has experience at GM but several credible sources have mentioned that Xander's isn't all that(per Mandol). Also when I researched Bronco Fan Comments from a few years back, they refer to him as a " bean counter"( someone enamored by the little things and can't see the whole picture). So is Xander's really better off than Gaine? Or is Gaine despised because he is tied to Ireland regime?
Who's baby is that? What's your angle? I'll buy that! ( Fred Flinstone )

Re: Here's one to fire you up! 9 months, 2 weeks ago #2

• aquaaiea
  • Veteran
Ever thought about the GM of Seattle who got Flynn, Sid Rice and Percy! Talk about throwing away someone else's money.

Re: Here's one to fire you up! 9 months, 2 weeks ago #3

I did some digging myself and Xanders seems like a great hire, but since he never had final say while in Denver nobody really knows exactly what decisions were his or not. Many Denver fans don't like him because they blame him for drafting Tebow. Then there are other fans who say that Xanders never wanted Tebow, that McDaniels was the person who really wanted to draft Tebow.

Since McDaniels single-handedly destroyed the Broncos, I don't think it's too far of a stretch to think he wanted to move up to draft Tebow. Also, I always had my suspicions as to why the Patriots brought Tebow to their team. My first thought was that it was a PR move because they had a serial killer on their team and wanted to add some good karma points to their organization. However, considering McDaniels is with the Patriots now, maybe he was the person responsible for the patriots bringing Tebow there. Some are saying that McDaniels might take the Browns head coaching job, and he might sign Tebow if he takes the job. So, there are strong ties with McDaniels and Tebow, which would/should erase the biggest knock on him.

I have no idea which players Xanders wanted or didn't want, but they had some pretty solid drafts until Elway had more control. Elway will get all the credit for getting Manning to the Broncos, but without all the players that Xanders and company brought to the team Manning probably wouldn't have picked the Broncos over the other teams that wanted him. (JMO)
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Re: Here's one to fire you up! 9 months, 2 weeks ago #4

Denver fans were down on him for yielding to McDaniels, dumping Cutler, and drafting Tebow...

He drafted Demaryius Thomas, Ryan Clady, and Von Miller, as he was convinced that VMiller was a "once in a decade" defensive player. These were solid hits.

Tim Tebow was a Josh McDaniels project. As they had 2 1st round picks, Xanders made sure they got Demaryius Thomas FIRST, then rolled the dice on taking a chance on Tebow. He purposely took Thomas over Dez Bryant as well. After dealing with Brandon Marshall, he didn't want another problem child given to temper tamtrums and general idiocy.

Xanders then allowed McDaniels to undertake the Tebow project. Knowshon Moreno was was a mistake, but with Manning at QB, Moreno has accounted for 1700 yards and 14 touchdowns this year.

His 2nd round aren't special, but are the picks are par for the course and much better than Irelands. Rahim Moore and Zane Beadles are starters as is Eddie Royal. Orlando Franklin is pretty good. Richard Quinn, Alphonso Smith, and Darcel McBath pretty much suck.

Considering he also drafted Eric Decker, Kory Lichtensteiger, Peyton Hillis (whom McDaniels traded away), Perish Cox, Julius Thomas, Quinton Carter, Nate Irving, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan. Solid contributors there...

Add to that, he brought in guys like CB Chris Harris Jr. (UDFA), LT Chris Clark (waivers), KR Trindon Holliday (waivers), SS Duke Ihenacho (UDFA), DB Tony Carter (UDFA) and C Manuel Ramirez (waivers).

Chris Harris is one of the best corners in the league, certainly one of the best slot cornes.

Ted Sundquist was fired in March of 2008, and Jim and Jeff Goodman took over the personnel department. They were later fired by Josh McDaniels, who pretty much wrecked the team in his maniacal scheme to prove his genius.

Due to McDaniels abusing his power and firing people, Xanders executed the 2009 draft without having revamped the scouting system in Denver. That was something he did in the summer of 2009 after the draft. He taught all of the scouts the new grading system he put into place and gave them the new process and assignments during that summer. The lack of results in the 2009 draft can be partially blamed on that. This is where the "Billy Bean" comparisons came from and the "Bean counter" comments.
---------
Slainte!

Re: Here's one to fire you up! 9 months, 2 weeks ago #5

• aquaaiea
  • Veteran
I have no doubts that Mcdaniels was behind Tebow draft.the thing is that Xanders seems a puppet for Josh and Shanahan and maybe Elway reckognized his inadequacy( just a hunch). Or Elway did not need a supposed talent evaluator acting like a GM.

All that said I would be supportive of this hire as he has GM experience and hope his underlings are fabulous at spotting rough Diamonds.

Re: Here's one to fire you up! 9 months, 2 weeks ago #6

I am going off of what I've read recently so I don't really know much about Xanders and which players he drafted and which players he didn't draft, considering he never had final say. I guess if he is hired Dolphins fans will just have to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he did actually want the players that were excellent picks. All GM's have a low percentage of hits versus misses, but I think the Broncos had more hits than misses while Xanders was with the Broncos.

I think McDaniels is a complete joke. I think he destroyed the Broncos, who had the players in place to be a playoff team when he took the head coaching job. But, he ran EVERYONE that had talent out of town. I was in shock when the Broncos made the moves that they did while McDaniels was with the Broncos, and I do not think that Xanders was responsible for any of that, and since he never had final say I think McDaniels used his trump card on many occasions. (JMO)

Re: Here's one to fire you up! 9 months, 2 weeks ago #7

• aquaaiea
  • Veteran
I just feel bad for Gaine as I think he would be a good up&coming candidate if he wasn't tied to our old regime. Even I don't want him as it will bring more scrutiny and unwanted attention being tied to Irish. I hope he is kept as our Assistant GM if he wants to stay.

Re: Here's one to fire you up! 9 months, 2 weeks ago #8

Gaines is on the bottom of my list of GM candidates. I don't see any reason why anyone on the current Dolphins staff deserves a promotion. I think Ross is doing things backwards by doing a partial house cleaning. It makes it so much more difficult to find a quality GM when that GM already has a head coach in place, saw that he won't have any say in hiring an OC and then you have Aponte to deal with.

Hopefully the Dolphins will be able to find a great talent evaluator who can mesh well with both Philbin and Aponte. It seems they have made a huge upgrade with their new OC, now they just have one more hole to fill before we can start focusing all our attention on the draft.

Re: Here's one to fire you up! 9 months, 2 weeks ago #9

DolphinsFreak wrote:
Gaines is on the bottom of my list of GM candidates. I don't see any reason why anyone on the current Dolphins staff deserves a promotion. I think Ross is doing things backwards by doing a partial house cleaning. It makes it so much more difficult to find a quality GM when that GM already has a head coach in place, saw that he won't have any say in hiring an OC and then you have Aponte to deal with.

Hopefully the Dolphins will be able to find a great talent evaluator who can mesh well with both Philbin and Aponte. It seems they have made a huge upgrade with their new OC, now they just have one more hole to fill before we can start focusing all our attention on the draft.

Hopefully the Dolphins will be able to find a great talent evaluator who can mesh well with both Philbin and Aponte.

From what I hear, you may have just described Gaine. I am not on the Gaine bandwagon per se, but I have heard he might be the type who can work with Philbin well, and is a good talent evaluator IIRC. Just because he was tied to Ireland, does not mean he has Ireland's personality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cuchulainn

Re: Here's one to fire you up! 9 months, 2 weeks ago #10

Dolphin North wrote:
DolphinsFreak wrote:

Hopefully the Dolphins will be able to find a great talent evaluator who can mesh well with both Philbin and Aponte.

From what I hear, you may have just described Gaine. I am not on the Gaine bandwagon per se, but I have heard he might be the type who can work with Philbin well, and is a good talent evaluator IIRC. Just because he was tied to Ireland, does not mean he has Ireland's personality.

Unfortunately you are correct, it does describe Gaines and Ross might just end up hiring him BECAUSE of the way Ross has handled this situation, not because he is the best man for the job. I am hopeful that Ross will find someone who is the best man for the job that can catapult this Dolphins team to the next level. I am also weary that since Ross handled this situation the way he did he will be forced to hire the person who gets along with the people he left in charge after his PARTIAL housecleaning, which will most likely mean we will be dealing with another cleaning in the very near future. Sorry if that seems pessimistic but I want the stench of Parcells gone. (I know we are stuck with Aponte for a while)
  • Page:
Moderators: ONole1, Dolfan1
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds