Phinaticmultibanner
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion

Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion 9 months, 2 weeks ago #1

Found this interesting. Same question many here have regarding Irelands drafts.. For once I kind of agree with Omar.. lol (for once I said )

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Q: Why do you think the Dolphins continue to miss on their draft picks? Hard to believe year after year they can’t find a game changer. - Dave Koziol, Auburn, NY

A: I’m not exactly sure we can classify Jake Long, Kendall Langford, Donald Thomas, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Brian Hartline, Chris Clemons, Jared Odrick, Koa Misi, Reshad Jones, Nolan Carroll, John Jerry, Mike Pouncey, Charles Clay, Ryan Tannehill, Jonathan Martin and Caleb Sturgis as misses. All 17 of those players have established themselves as PROVEN NFL starters since the Dolphins selected them between 2008-12. While some have moved on, and some have fallen short of expectations, they are all still solid contributors in the NFL. My point, the Dolphins actually have a very respectable draft history since General Manager Jeff Ireland has been one of the individuals picking the groceries. The problem most Dolphins fans have - especially those in the F-Ireland crowd - is few of those players play skill positions, and most don’t hit the ground running right away. The Dolphins prefer to give their youngsters small roles and expand them as the season, and years progress. They have had success with that approach so far. Because most fans are impatient it skews their perspective. Right now a few of the 2012 draft picks – Lamar Miller and Olivier Vernon – are having their roles expanded. That UM duo needs to prove they deserve it, and can handle it. Rookies like Dion Jordan, Jamar Taylor, Will Davis, Dion Sims, Jelani Jenkins and Mike Gillislee all need to prove they deserve more playing time before more gets put on their plate. That’s not unreasonable in my opinion. Keep in mind, if these rookies were better than the players they are presently behind they would already be playing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dolfan1

Re: Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion 9 months, 2 weeks ago #2

  • aquaaiea
  • OFFLINE
  • Veteran
  • Family,Football,Fishing
  • Posts: 4234
Go Ireland and prove us wrong!there's a smart guy being that ugly face hehehe.
A child comes to me with a spark of interest, I feed the spark and it becomes a flame, I feed the flame and it becomes a fire, I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze!(Cus D'Amato)

Re: Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion 9 months, 2 weeks ago #3

opion? Sounds like the substance I smoked before posting this OPINION!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wulf

Re: Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion 9 months, 2 weeks ago #4

  • aquaaiea
  • OFFLINE
  • Veteran
  • Family,Football,Fishing
  • Posts: 4234
idahomer wrote:
opion? Sounds like the substance I smoked before posting this OPINION!!


I thought Opie was writing the thread."hey Pa, are we from the same Motherland as Jeffy"?
A child comes to me with a spark of interest, I feed the spark and it becomes a flame, I feed the flame and it becomes a fire, I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze!(Cus D'Amato)

Re: Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion 9 months, 2 weeks ago #5

No Longer With The Dolphins
Jake Long - Rams
Kendall Langford - Rams
Vontae Davis - Colts
Sean Smith - Chiefs
Donald Thomas - Colts

These Are Okay Picks But Nothing Special
Chris Clemons - (Decent safety)
Jared Odrick - (Is NOT a 1st round caliber player)
Koa Misi - (Decent LB but nothing great)
Nolan Carroll - (Decent CB but nothing great)
John Jerry - (He has only played ONE full season. So far nothing special)
Charles Clay - (Is starting to look like a good draft pick)


Pretty Good Pick But Too Early To Tell

Ryan Tannehill - (If still a work in progress. He "might" be a franchise QB, but might not)
Jonathan Martin - (He has a lot of potential. He could be great. We shall see........)
Caleb Sturgis - (Looks like a solid pick)

Really Good Picks
Reshad Jones - (Great Pick)
Mike Pouncey - (Great Pick)
Brian Hartline- (Is a really good #2 receiver)

JMO
Winners never quit and quitters never win.
Last Edit: 9 months, 2 weeks ago by DolphinsFreak.

Re: Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion 9 months, 2 weeks ago #6

DolphinsFreak wrote:
<strong>No Longer With The Dolphins</strong>
Jake Long - Rams
Kendall Langford - Rams
Vontae Davis - Colts
Sean Smith - Chiefs
Donald Thomas - Colts

<strong>These Are Okay Picks But Nothing Special</strong>
Chris Clemons - (Decent safety)
Jared Odrick - (Is NOT a 1st round caliber player)
Koa Misi - (Decent LB but nothing great)
Nolan Carroll - (Decent CB but nothing great)
John Jerry - (He has only played ONE full season. So far nothing special)
Charles Clay - (Is starting to look like a good draft pick)

<strong>
Pretty Good Pick But Too Early To Tell
</strong>
Ryan Tannehill - (If still a work in progress. He "might" be a franchise QB, but might not)
Jonathan Martin - (He has a lot of potential. He could be great. We shall see........)
Caleb Sturgis - (Looks like a solid pick)

<strong>Really Good Picks</strong>
Reshad Jones - (Great Pick)
Mike Pouncey - (Great Pick)
Brian Hartline- (Is a really good #2 receiver)

JMO


Long, Langford, and Smith all left as UFA's.. We basically drafted Taylor with the Vontae pick, so he may or may not be a better player for us. Can't remember if we cut Thomas or he also left via FA.. So just because the player is no longer a Dolphin doesn't mean that player isn't a solid NFL player, which is what Omar's point was.. Ireland has drafted his share of solid NFL starters.

Re: Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion 9 months, 2 weeks ago #7

Some of the list is selective history. Many on this board have made a point in defending Ireland saying the Long pick etc. was really Parcells. You can't have it both ways. Pennington came because of Parcells, not Ireland. So how many division titles, AFC championships and super bowls has he won as GM? Zero. If you are being objective, he is a C+ GM. We have yet to have a player that you say that guy is going to the HOF. That guy is a Franchise changer. For whatever reason it has not gone to the next level. You can make excuses, but life is not fair. I gave Ireland props this off season, but if we don't get into the playoffs. Ask yourself how many are going to wait 4 more years say, to see if he gets lucky? I sure as hell they whip the Bills. If not, tank city again. No way around it.

Re: Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion 9 months, 2 weeks ago #8

idahomer wrote:
DolphinsFreak wrote:
<strong>No Longer With The Dolphins</strong>
Jake Long - Rams
Kendall Langford - Rams
Vontae Davis - Colts
Sean Smith - Chiefs
Donald Thomas - Colts

<strong>These Are Okay Picks But Nothing Special</strong>
Chris Clemons - (Decent safety)
Jared Odrick - (Is NOT a 1st round caliber player)
Koa Misi - (Decent LB but nothing great)
Nolan Carroll - (Decent CB but nothing great)
John Jerry - (He has only played ONE full season. So far nothing special)
Charles Clay - (Is starting to look like a good draft pick)

<strong>
Pretty Good Pick But Too Early To Tell
</strong>
Ryan Tannehill - (If still a work in progress. He "might" be a franchise QB, but might not)
Jonathan Martin - (He has a lot of potential. He could be great. We shall see........)
Caleb Sturgis - (Looks like a solid pick)

<strong>Really Good Picks</strong>
Reshad Jones - (Great Pick)
Mike Pouncey - (Great Pick)
Brian Hartline- (Is a really good #2 receiver)

JMO


Long, Langford, and Smith all left as UFA's.. We basically drafted Taylor with the Vontae pick, so he may or may not be a better player for us. Can't remember if we cut Thomas or he also left via FA.. So just because the player is no longer a Dolphin doesn't mean that player isn't a solid NFL player, which is what Omar's point was.. Ireland has drafted his share of solid NFL starters.


This forum has had this topic brought up in a different way before.

Whenever the 'haters', as we are affectionately known, bring up Ireland's faults, the people who like Ireland's moves defend him by saying that Ireland WAS NOT in charge of making decisions when Parcells was with the Dolphins. THAT is their defense, that Parcells made the draft decisions and free agency moves. SO, having said that, the players on the list in the above posts that are solid NFL players were drafted while Parcells was running the show, not Ireland.

We still have to wait and see IF Ireland's draft picks will pan out but players drafted from 2008-2010 should not be credited to Ireland, using the same defense that Ireland supporters use.

It can't go both ways if anyone wants to be fair about this. Nobody can give Ireland credit for all the positive moves and blame Parcells, the head coach, etc. for all the bad moves.

In my opinion Ireland 'was' a glorified scout who got hired because his buddy Parcells gave him a leg-up. He is learning on the job and it appears that he has improved. He still pisses me off from time to time, like letting Reggie go and/or not hiring someone who knows how to use him, not signing Leach, not spending the money needed to address the offensive line, etc. I went into this season thinking that there is no way that this o-line will be able to protect Tannehill, and that is why I was on the Sign Vontae Leach bandwagon because I was worried about this offensive line. If I am just a fan why didn't he notice this and do something about it since he is getting paid to do so?

I will admit that I don't dislike him as much as I did in the past, because he does seem to be learning and getting better at his job, but sometimes he drives me insane with his move or lack there of and that is when I want him to seek employment elsewhere.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Re: Ireland drafts - local beat writers opion 9 months, 2 weeks ago #9

hawkfinfan wrote:
Some of the list is selective history. Many on this board have made a point in defending Ireland saying the Long pick etc. was really Parcells. You can't have it both ways. Pennington came because of Parcells, not Ireland. So how many division titles, AFC championships and super bowls has he won as GM? Zero. If you are being objective, he is a C+ GM. We have yet to have a player that you say that guy is going to the HOF. That guy is a Franchise changer. For whatever reason it has not gone to the next level. You can make excuses, but life is not fair. I gave Ireland props this off season, but if we don't get into the playoffs. Ask yourself how many are going to wait 4 more years say, to see if he gets lucky? I sure as hell they whip the Bills. If not, tank city again. No way around it.


Great Post!

I just basically posted the same thing, in a long-winded way. AHA
Winners never quit and quitters never win.
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: ONole1, Dolfan1
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds