Phinaticmultibanner
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Hard Knocks Hindsight
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hard Knocks Hindsight

Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #1

In looking back for better or worse, did Hard Knocks ave any effect on the Dolphins team this past season? A few things to consider.

John Jerry got his ass kicked by our Marine OL coach and played pretty well, a good thing.

Chad was showcased, and fell by the wayside, a questionable thing.

Egnew was embarrassed by Sherman, and is still looking for an apartment to replace the Dog House.

Philbin had some good, in the mid field turnaround in watching plays, and some bad, in appearing a little wussy in handling cuts and the VD trade.

Overall good, bad, or indifferent? I loved it but, don't know if doing it again is a VG idea.

Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #2

I thought HK was great, but been there done that and it's time to move on.

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #3

The only effect that I believe the show had on the Miami Dolphins is that it "might" have worsened the deal that the Dolphins got for Vontae Davis. In my opinion, if the entire football world didn't see Davis come into camp out of shape and talk like a moron during practice, Ireland might have been able to get more for him.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #4

• Dolfan1
I loved it and don't think it had any real effect one way or the other on our season. I'd love to see them do it again in the future.
Now Residing in the State of Anticipation

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #5

I wonder if it had any effect on Tannehill, being a rookie, and all the attention it brought to his wife. I would think that may have been somewhat of a distraction.

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #6

I agree that it was fun to see, and as a fan I appreciated that Ross & company let us share aspects of training camp we would have never seen. I believe it may have been bad for some of the players that were featured, especially Egnew, only because now he has more doubters than believers (had he performed like we expect a 3rd round pick to that would not be the case so he has himself to blame).. No reason to do it again, but I believe it was an effort by ownership and management to gain back fans trust.. At the end of the day I believe it was a good thing for the Dolphins organization.

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #7

Dolfan1 wrote:
I loved it and don't think it had any real effect one way or the other on our season. I'd love to see them do it again in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved it as well but, don't think it did us any good, not sure on any bad.

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #8

• Dolfan1
Southbeach wrote:
Dolfan1 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=========================================================================================
As I said, team wise I don't think it had any real effect good or bad but from a fans point of view it was fantastic.
Now Residing in the State of Anticipation
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Dolfan1.

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #9

Southbeach wrote:
Dolfan1 wrote:

While it didn't do the team any good on the field it I believe it did good things for them from a PR standpoint, which was their main reason for doing it anyway..

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #10

I think the thing that was most apparent was how difficult it is for a new Coach in his first season to come to a team as polar opposite from what he was accustomed to as the Dolphins were from the Packers, and to attempt to put his stamp on the team, as well as attempt to change the players attitudes and habits, the O and D schemes and coaches, and to make the difficult decisions on dumping popular players.

I hope we do it again in another couple of years just to compare and see how and what has changed between then and last season.
---------
Slainte!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dolfan1

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #11

cuchulainn wrote:
I think the thing that was most apparent was how difficult it is for a new Coach in his first season to come to a team as polar opposite from what he was accustomed to as the Dolphins were from the Packers, and to attempt to put his stamp on the team, as well as attempt to change the players attitudes and habits, the O and D schemes and coaches, and to make the difficult decisions on dumping popular players.

I hope we do it again in another couple of years just to compare and see how and what has changed between then and last season.

Good point & yeah, that would be pretty cool!
'LIFE' is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #12

My thoughts on HK's...I have to say that when i first heard we were gonna do it i was adamantly against it and thought it was a big mistake,, i mean did a young team with a new HC, new Coordinators, new schemes & a new philosophy really need an added distraction, especially one up-close & personal on National TV??

In hindsight, while i really enjoyed the show from a fans standpoint..i still believe we'd have been better off as a team not doing it. I think it's hard enough in today's NFL (especially since the new CBA killed 2 a days and how much practice is allowed) to get any team prepared & ready for a long grueling season, let alone a young team like us facing all the added aforementioned challenges. This team just didn't need the cameras, the Soap-Opera sub-plots and the whole world in their business on a weekly basis, JMO...
'LIFE' is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbeach, hndrkyabong34

Re: Hard Knocks Hindsight 1 year, 9 months ago #13

I don't think HArd Knocks has anything to do with how these things ended up happening. They would have happened with or without the show.
Dunno when Philbin seemed a little wussy during cuts and stuff, but I do think in a piece of film I saw during the Seahawks game he appeared a little unsure of what to do. He was talking to a player on the sideline about the refs saying it was getting chippy out there...looked like a lineman but it was hard to see as his back was to the camera. Anyway, the player was all jacked up in the middle of the game and almost cut Philbin off as he snapped "It won't change! They wanna play like that then we're gonna play like that!". Philbin looked to his assistant who was beside him and shrugged and said, "Yeah...well...". He looked a little caught off guard and seemed to be grasping hoping his assistant would be able to help him out.

This was a single moment of a long year, in the heat of battle, and to his credit, Philbin looked good except for that moment to me. Of course the flip side would be he could easily have yelled at the player and told him that what he says goes etc., but he would never earn respect that way. So I'd rather see him hesitate in one difficult moment and try to figure out the best course of action than to just take the easy way and yell to shut the player down. Again, the player was more jacked up about the Seahawks being chippy than Philbin telling him, but there was a moment of looking lost by the coach.

I still think he'll be fine.

Still, I think he will get more used to those kinds of things and will react
Southbeach wrote:
In looking back for better or worse, did Hard Knocks ave any effect on the Dolphins team this past season? A few things to consider.

John Jerry got his ass kicked by our Marine OL coach and played pretty well, a good thing.

Chad was showcased, and fell by the wayside, a questionable thing.

Egnew was embarrassed by Sherman, and is still looking for an apartment to replace the Dog House.

Philbin had some good, in the mid field turnaround in watching plays, and some bad, in appearing a little wussy in handling cuts and the VD trade.

Overall good, bad, or indifferent? I loved it but, don't know if doing it again is a VG idea.
  • Page:
Moderators: ONole1, Dolfan1
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds