Phinaticmultibanner
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Bush Dancing Without The Stars?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bush Dancing Without The Stars?

Bush Dancing Without The Stars? 1 year, 11 months ago #1

Last year, we all saw Bush running wild or at least very well. To the left, he was Lethal going behind Long a and Cog, who were giving a great push, some space, and sometimes wiping out that side of defenders.

This year is day and night. The new zone blocking scheme has Long and Cog moving sideways on many a play, and Reggie waiting for an opening to dart through. That's what zone blocking is supposed to do, and Bush shoulda been a perfect fit.

However, the left side of the OL is having a hell of a time in adapting, and does not belong in a WCO. IF you tell Jake & Cog to just go out and move people out of the way, I believe they will (as proven) but, that's not what they are being asked to do.

I have a problem in faulting Bush's dancing when the stars in front of him have been asked to slide to the side in place of knocking someone into into the secondary, which they both did quite well last year.

Opinions?

Re: Bush Dancing Without The Stars? 1 year, 11 months ago #2

• Kato
  • Veteran
Hi Sobe;

You make a very good point about the blocking scheme being a potential huge issue in the success of our offensive linemen and therefore the running game. Clearly, these guys, especially Long and Cog, were recruited here based on a completely different scheme, one that was mano y mano, and valued size and strength winning the individual battles over agility, timing, coordination, and communication to attack zones. That was the Parcells way.... Long in particular was known as a road grader, and that image itself tells you that he is not the most nimble of Tackles.

If I could quibble just a bit with your characterization of Zone blocking, I would think that when you say "moving sideways, or side to side", that might be a little misleading as to what these guys have to do.... and not giving enough credit to those (like me) that think, it is just football and the OL still needs to own his assignment and once he locks onto the defender, it is not side to side but Godzilla in "Destroy all Monsters".....so, even though Long and Cog do need to learn the new schemes, at the end of the day they still need to knock out the other guys mouthpiece, and they just are not getting it done. Even when they "seal off" a play, it should be done with extreme prejudice if nothing else than to give the DL something to worry about. I might also add my other pet peeve and that is can we just fix the offensive line, for the love of sweet Mary's pickles!!! Why can other teams turn 4th round RBs into SuperStars year in and year out, and we still talk about the Phins OLine needing to do better for a Heisman Trophy winning RB....makes me want to quit drinking.

From an ESPN article-Football 101: Zone Blocking>>>>>>>>>>>

"Zone blocking in the running game is when two or three offensive linemen work in tandem as opposed to each offensive lineman having a specific, predetermined man to block. Zone blocking involves the center, guard, tackle and tight end working in combination to block an area with an emphasis on double-teaming the defensive linemen who are aligned on the line of scrimmage.

The concept is for two adjacent linemen to come off in unison and attack a defensive line to the play side or to the side the ball carrier is going. The advantage, as opposed to man blocking, is that you create a double-team with two players blocking one defensive lineman. This allows the offensive linemen to be aggressive because he knows he has help if his defensive lineman was to pinch inside. It also provides movement at the point of attack, which can open creases for the running back.

Zone blocking initially starts out as a double team at the point of attack on the down defensive linemen, but the beauty of it is that one of the offensive linemen will leave to attack the linebacker while one stays to take over the defensive lineman. The key is for the two offensive linemen working in unison to double-team the defensive lineman to decide who and when one of them will leave to block the linebacker."

Re: Bush Dancing Without The Stars? 1 year, 11 months ago #3

KATO, I stand by what I said, and the OL moving in tandem is side to side to an extent, and not straight ahead. Watch our OL tonight on run plays, and let me know what you think.

Re: Bush Dancing Without The Stars? 1 year, 11 months ago #4

• Kato
  • Veteran
I think that first half was absolutely pathetic. Long got his clock cleaned on 2 plays at least. Backwards, forwards, side to side, jump up, fall down....usually.
  • Page:
Moderators: ONole1, Dolfan1
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds