Phinaticmultibanner
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

A 2013 Draft Question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: A 2013 Draft Question

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #16

I remember people throwing up when we didnt draft Brady Quinn, I trust the people in charge and im sure a DB will be addressed as well as a WR it will be christmas in April. But still a bit early for me to get excited for drafting when we still have a chance to make the playoffs.

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #17

Southbeach wrote:

As a GM for next year, I'm signing a FA WR, drafting a CB #1, counting on Vernon to be a player, and signing one guy on the OL to replace Long, moving Martin, at RT or LG (in place of Cog), and drafting another in the 2nd round.

----------------

I would like to see them try and move or get something for Odrick. From everything I have read and seen, he is not a good fit for us. He was a baller at PS, someone must want him.

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #18

• ONole1
IMO there are three CB’s I grade out as first round picks. I think depending on the system you are going to run is how I would rank the three of them.

DeMarcus Milliner – 6’1”, 182lbs Alabama. He is going to be ranked number one by most and for good reason. He is playing in the pro systems and love him or hate him Saban produces NFL ready players especially on defense. Milliner can play both man and zone equally as well so he will fit in any system. He has four picks and one returned for a TD, but has 29 passes defensed in 2+ years. He will be a top 10 pick

Xavier Rhodes – 6’2”, 215 lbs Florida State. Rhodes will be best suited for a defense that likes to play man or at least play him in man situations. I am probably a little bias but I think he has the best ability to become a shutdown corner of any CB in this draft. He is extremely physical and has shown the ability to shut top receivers down with his press coverage. He is a very good tackler and supports the run well along with blitzes well. He has 7 picks in 2+ years with no TD’s and 22 passes broken up. He will more than likely be a top 20 pick and could be a top 15 pick.

Jonathan Banks – 6’2”, 185lbs Mississippi State. The thing you gotta love about him is that he is a ball hawk. In his 3+ years he has 16 picks and brought three of them back to the house. His speed is the question and that will be the question in the NFL. He plays more off coverage than press because of his speed concerns. When he does play press he has good hand fighting skills and has lose hips which allow him to make the cuts with the WR’s. I see him more of a zone type CB. He reminds me a lot of Asante Samuels in his ability to read the QB and make plays on the ball. He is probably a second half of the first round.

Others;

David Ammerson – 6’3”, 194 lbs, NC State. His stock has actually dropped a little as he hasn’t looked as good this year and teams have not really thrown at him as much. The concern with him is speed and can he keep up with NFL receivers in man coverage? When the ball is in the air there is not a more aggressive DB in college football as his 17 picks will show. Some feel he will actually be converted to FS in the NFL and could become an instant star. As of now he is probably looking at round two, but could slide into late round one.

Desmond Trufant – 6’, 186lbs Washington. He is the younger brother of Seahawks Marcus Trufant. Like Marcus Desmond is a physical corner and has all the skills in the world to be a shutdown corner in the NFL. He can play in both man and zone schemes. The times I have seen him although he can play physical he doesn’t have the best methods when it comes to tackling as he misses a lot of tackles, that will need to improve. He has 6 picks and 28 passes defended in three + years.
A person starts to live when he can live outside himself

Albert Einstein
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by ONole1.

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #19

The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbeach

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #20

ONole1 wrote:
IMO there are three CB’s I grade out as first round picks. I think depending on the system you are going to run is how I would rank the three of them.

DeMarcus Milliner – 6’1”, 182lbs Alabama. He is going to be ranked number one by most and for good reason. He is playing in the pro systems and love him or hate him Saban produces NFL ready players especially on defense. Milliner can play both man and zone equally as well so he will fit in any system. He has four picks and one returned for a TD, but has 29 passes defensed in 2+ years. He will be a top 10 pick

Xavier Rhodes – 6’2”, 215 lbs Florida State. Rhodes will be best suited for a defense that likes to play man or at least play him in man situations. I am probably a little bias but I think he has the best ability to become a shutdown corner of any CB in this draft. He is extremely physical and has shown the ability to shut top receivers down with his press coverage. He is a very good tackler and supports the run well along with blitzes well. He has 7 picks in 2+ years with no TD’s and 22 passes broken up. He will more than likely be a top 20 pick and could be a top 15 pick.

Jonathan Banks – 6’2”, 185lbs Mississippi State. The thing you gotta love about him is that he is a ball hawk. In his 3+ years he has 16 picks and brought three of them back to the house. His speed is the question and that will be the question in the NFL. He plays more off coverage than press because of his speed concerns. When he does play press he has good hand fighting skills and has lose hips which allow him to make the cuts with the WR’s. I see him more of a zone type CB. He reminds me a lot of Asante Samuels in his ability to read the QB and make plays on the ball. He is probably a second half of the first round.

Others;

David Ammerson – 6’3”, 194 lbs, NC State. His stock has actually dropped a little as he hasn’t looked as good this year and teams have not really thrown at him as much. The concern with him is speed and can he keep up with NFL receivers in man coverage? When the ball is in the air there is not a more aggressive DB in college football as his 17 picks will show. Some feel he will actually be converted to FS in the NFL and could become an instant star. As of now he is probably looking at round two, but could slide into late round one.

Desmond Trufant – 6’, 186lbs Washington. He is the younger brother of Seahawks Marcus Trufant. Like Marcus Desmond is a physical corner and has all the skills in the world to be a shutdown corner in the NFL. He can play in both man and zone schemes. The times I have seen him although he can play physical he doesn’t have the best methods when it comes to tackling as he misses a lot of tackles, that will need to improve. He has 6 picks and 28 passes defended in three + years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Shane. Well Done, as always. Would you trade up for a Millinar or, wait until we picked for one of the others? Is there that much of a difference, and do you agree on picking a CB at #1?

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #21

Good job Shane.

Since we are talking draft, does anyone know what kind of overall class it will be? What are the deepest and thinnest positions? Would love to see a deep class for WR's and CB's.

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #22

Fins4ever wrote:
Good job Shane.

Since we are talking draft, does anyone know what kind of overall class it will be? What are the deepest and thinnest positions? Would love to see a deep class for WR's and CB's.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking/hoping CB at this point, with our BIG SPLASH in FA at WR, a Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe. I would still take a WR in the 2nd if he was the BPA or close. I don't see any GREAT WR's in this draft but, with WR's, ya never know.

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #23

Southbeach wrote:
Fins4ever wrote:
Good job Shane.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking/hoping CB at this point, with our BIG SPLASH in FA at WR, a Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe. I would still take a WR in the 2nd if he was the BPA or close. I don't see any GREAT WR's in this draft but, with WR's, ya never know.

I think WR Keenan Allen of California will possibly be the next great NFL receiver and should go in the first few picks..Robert Woods of USC will go high as well, though i'm not nearly as high on Woods as most.
'LIFE' is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #24

• ONole1
Southbeach wrote:
Thanks Shane. Well Done, as always. Would you trade up for a Millinar or, wait until we picked for one of the others? Is there that much of a difference, and do you agree on picking a CB at #1?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No I wouldn't trade up for him. I am not sure he will becomde a shutdown type of corner if there is such a thing. I know most will think I'm being a homer but I like Rhodes better. He has the physical ability to play with the bigger receivers and is quick enough in his feet and hips to play smaller ones as well. I really do think he could become a shutdown type of corner .

Albert Einstein

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #25

• Kato
  • Veteran
ONole1 wrote:
Southbeach wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No I wouldn't trade up for him. I am not sure he will becomde a shutdown type of corner if there is such a thing. I know most will think I'm being a homer but I like Rhodes better. He has the physical ability to play with the bigger receivers and is quick enough in his feet and hips to play smaller ones as well. I really do think he could become a shutdown type of corner .

Not a homer, but perhaps a Bart....budum dum.

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #26

ONole1 wrote:
Southbeach wrote:

From what i've seen i think Rhodes is gonna be a really good NFL Corner..and i don't even like the Noles!
'LIFE' is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #27

I would not trade up for any player in this draft. After the top 3 or 4 players this draft does not hold the elite players. It seems like picks 5-25 are all about the same. If interested in CB, I see little difference between Milliner and Banks, and to a slightly lesser degree (hair splitting way) Rhodes and Ammerson.

Just my opinion, this draft has early round talent at DT, OL and Safety. A little better depth at WR, CB and RB. There are a couple of first round WR and CB prospect but they are not the elite prospects like AJ Green or Patrick Peterson.

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #28

Metalhead wrote:
I would not trade up for any player in this draft. After the top 3 or 4 players this draft does not hold the elite players. It seems like picks 5-25 are all about the same. If interested in CB, I see little difference between Milliner and Banks, and to a slightly lesser degree (hair splitting way) Rhodes and Ammerson.

Just my opinion, this draft has early round talent at DT, OL and Safety. A little better depth at WR, CB and RB. There are a couple of first round WR and CB prospect but they are not the elite prospects like AJ Green or Patrick Peterson.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see us going OL, yet again, in maybe the 2nd round. Who looks good there?

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #29

• ONole1
It's actually a pretty solid draft all around. However, from what I see it's not a strong draft for interior linemen, inside LBs, tight ends, running backs and safeties.

I think it's a decent draft for QB's as 7 could go in the first three rounds. I could see as many as 16 WR's going in the first three rounds. I could see 13 CB's in the first three round but really only three in round one.

I think this draft is strongest at OT, DT, WR, and DE/OLB. You could see as many as 7 DT's go in round one, doubt it happens but there are 7 guys that will get consideration. OT could see as many as 5 and 12 in the first three rounds. DE/OLB could have up to 28 guys drafted in the first three round and 110 in round one. WR I could see as many as 16 in the first three round, but I only think two to three could go in round one. I think there is a lot of value in round two for WR.

Albert Einstein

Re: A 2013 Draft Question 1 year, 8 months ago #30

ONole1 wrote:
It's actually a pretty solid draft all around. However, from what I see it's not a strong draft for interior linemen, inside LBs, tight ends, running backs and safeties.

I think it's a decent draft for QB's as 7 could go in the first three rounds. I could see as many as 16 WR's going in the first three rounds. I could see 13 CB's in the first three round but really only three in round one.

I think this draft is strongest at OT, DT, WR, and DE/OLB. You could see as many as 7 DT's go in round one, doubt it happens but there are 7 guys that will get consideration. OT could see as many as 5 and 12 in the first three rounds. DE/OLB could have up to 28 guys drafted in the first three round and 110 in round one. WR I could see as many as 16 in the first three round, but I only think two to three could go in round one. I think there is a lot of value in round two for WR.

------------------

Thank you. Aside from obvious needs, I could see the Fins getting another OT, maybe 2 depending what happens with Jake.
Moderators: ONole1, Dolfan1
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds