Bess
Gates
Moore
Cunningham
Matthews

Pruitt - practice squad

Wallace and Fuller too big and slow[/quote

Pruitt played too much last year. Not eligible for PS[/quote]

Ah yes. Too bad. Kind of bad management to keep a guy active for 9 games but yet have him with zero receptions, thus killing his ability to be placed on the PS next year.

Pruitt was brought up after the Giants game when either Wallace/Moore got hurt. He was our STs demon. Not a management issue. We needed his skills on STs not as a WR.

The Dolphins special teams have not been good for a loooong time. Calling someone on our roster a special teams demon is not a glowing compliment. He had 4 tackles and 2 assists. Our long snapper had 4 tackles. Pruitt better make the team based on his receiving skills not his special teams coverage abilities. The WCO uses more WRs so even our 5th and 6th guys better be ready to contribute. As an example, in 2011 the 5th WR (rookie Randall Cobb) on Green Bay had 25 receptions. Compared to the Dolphins 4th WR who had 2 receptions.

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #17

• dashall
  • Veteran
Football outsiders had us ranked as #6 in STs in early December. Our STs improved by leaps and bounds last season over 2010. Rizzi was one of the coaches kept by Philbin and for good reason. Will Pruitt make the team? I have no clue. With two rookies being drafted by a new coach, it could be time for Pruitt to move on. But you never know.

www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

Ben Volin of the Post

"We like Pruitt’s chances because not only is he one of the team’s fastest receivers, but he’s also a demon in all six phases of special teams (coordinator Darren Rizzi told me Pruitt is one of the best special teams players he’s coached in the last decade)."

Pro Football Weekly

"Pruitt, who spent both the 2009 and ’10 seasons and the first eight weeks of the '11 season on the practice squad, made an impact as a gunner and had two special-teams tackles. The entire Dolphins coverage team, which was a big part of the team's downfall in 2010, improved in ’11. Miami went from 22nd to 16th in opponent punt-return average and from 28th to 13th in opponent kickoff-return average."

From our friends on the Phinsider

"Julius Pruitt: Many may think that Pruitt isn't worth a roster spot. My advice to them is to go back and watch our punt coverage. You'll see a certain #11 flying down the field and was ALWAYS the first player to reach the return man. Pruitt was a monster on special teams in the second half of the 2011 season (Ben Volin called him a "demon" on special teams). In my opinion, Pruitt has the upper hand on the 5th WR slot at the moment. I think his special teams contributions will keep him on the team and hopefully Philbin and crew can bring out Pruitt's potential. He is still very raw at WR, but has the size (6'2" 206) and speed to be a quality WR if properly developed."

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #18

dashall wrote:
Football outsiders had us ranked as #6 in STs in early December. Our STs improved by leaps and bounds last season over 2010. Rizzi was one of the coaches kept by Philbin and for good reason. Will Pruitt make the team? I have no clue. With two rookies being drafted by a new coach, it could be time for Pruitt to move on. But you never know.

Ben Volin of the Post

"We like Pruitt’s chances because not only is he one of the team’s fastest receivers, but he’s also a demon in all six phases of special teams (coordinator <strong>Darren Rizzi</strong> told me Pruitt is one of the best special teams players he’s coached in the last decade)."

Pro Football Weekly

"Pruitt, who spent both the 2009 and ’10 seasons and the first eight weeks of the '11 season on the practice squad, made an impact as a gunner and had two special-teams tackles. The entire Dolphins coverage team, which was a big part of the team's downfall in 2010, improved in ’11. Miami went from 22nd to 16th in opponent punt-return average and from 28th to 13th in opponent kickoff-return average."

"Julius Pruitt: Many may think that Pruitt isn't worth a roster spot. My advice to them is to go back and watch our punt coverage. You'll see a certain #11 flying down the field and was ALWAYS the first player to reach the return man. Pruitt was a monster on special teams in the second half of the 2011 season (Ben Volin called him a "demon" on special teams). In my opinion, Pruitt has the upper hand on the 5th WR slot at the moment. I think his special teams contributions will keep him on the team and hopefully Philbin and crew can bring out Pruitt's potential. He is still very raw at WR, but has the size (6'2" 206) and speed to be a quality WR if properly developed."

If he was ALWAYS the first player to reach the return man, then he missed a lot of tackles.

When a guy has been around for 3 years and people are saying "if properly developed", it's not a good sign. After Hartline, Bess and probably Gates it is going to come down to who shows something during preseason. I think they better show abilities as a WR first and foremost. Special teams should be their side job. We have had many a gunner. Jason Allen was a good gunner too, but it did not save him...

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #19

• dashall
  • Veteran
Metalhead wrote:
dashall wrote:

Ben Volin of the Post

"We like Pruitt’s chances because not only is he one of the team’s fastest receivers, but he’s also a demon in all six phases of special teams (coordinator <strong>Darren Rizzi</strong> told me Pruitt is one of the best special teams players he’s coached in the last decade)."

Pro Football Weekly

If he was ALWAYS the first player to reach the return man, then he missed a lot of tackles.

When a guy has been around for 3 years and people are saying "if properly developed", it's not a good sign. After Hartline, Bess and probably Gates it is going to come down to who shows something during preseason. I think they better show abilities as a WR first and foremost. Special teams should be their side job. We have had many a gunner. Jason Allen was a good gunner too, but it did not save him...

Some how I knew Jason Allen would make into this conversation. Allen quit on us. Plain and simple. He refused to go on the field and cover a punt to protest losing his starting job. Allen was also a 1st round pick that never panned out. Pruitt is a back end roster guy that busts his butt on every play. I think that we can say there were a lot of players that were never fully developed under the old coaching staff. I looked forward to Philbin and company actually teaching and developing players for years to come.

On rosters, the 4 and 5 WR have to play STs at a minimum. Certain positions that are mainly depth players are kept to provide depth (of course) and to play STs. In 2010 we were forced to use Davis on punt coverages because we had crappy coverage teams.

Again, I have no idea if Pruitt is worth keeping in the eyes of the new coaches. Matthews and Cunningham might be hands down better players and athletes. We will see. Pruitt could very well be looking for work but Rizzi could convince the new boss that he is a keeper.

The gunner also has two people trying to run him into the ground. Is the gunner the guy that is expected to make all the tackles? Or does he disrupt the return team's coverages?
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by dashall.

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #20

dashall wrote:
How many WRs we will carry this year is unknown. But when you look at the roster you can easily see that there are more WRs than slots available. Who stays and who goes will be worked out over the summer.

These guys, IMO, are safe:

Bess, Hartline, and Gates. They are going nowhere.

These guys are fighting for spots:

Wallace, Moore, Naanee, and Pruitt

Then we drafted two:

Mathews and Cunningham

But here is a wild card: (Peter King)

I think you should pay attention to one undrafted player if you play fantasy football: Jeff Fuller. I'm not saying you should put him atop your late-round-flyer draft list; I'm just saying you should watch Dolphins training camp and see if he can win a job in an offense that will be struggling to find downfield weapons after the trade of Brandon Marshall.

In October, Fuller, of Texas A&M, was a legitimate first-round prospect. Then, as the 2011 season progressed, he seemed to drop more balls than he caught, he lost confidence, and bombed at the Senior Bowl. When I was in Miami last weekend, I could tell coach Joe Philbin had a blank-slate philosophy with everyone on the roster, which will hold Fuller in good stead. That plus he'll be catching the ball from his college quarterback, Ryan Tannehill, and having the plays called by his college coach, Mike Sherman. Maybe the dropsies will be terminal for Fuller. But if he catches the ball well in training camp, he's absolutely an NFL-caliber receiver.

10 guys fighting for 5 or 6 spots. It will be interesting. Ross Tucker had something interesting to say about the draft. He said vets really don't care who the team drafts as long as it is not someone the plays their position.

In my opinion the only players safe from being cut are Bess and Hartline. I don't think Gates did enough to secure a position with the Dolphins. I think Naanee will make the cut. I watched a lot of him in San Diego and he has a ton of upside. I like Wallace and Moore and I think both these guys are really good receivers. I think they both have a good chance with the Dolphins. Fuller is coming up multiple injuries, his knee and I think both ankles. I am not sure about him making the team but if he could turn it around that would be awesome. I think the sleeper in this whole group might be Cunningham. I wouldn't be surprised if Cunningham turned out to be the Dolphins number one receiver within the next year or two.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #21

• dashall
  • Veteran
I just hate the idea of getting rid of Gates so quickly. You know he will be picked up by another team and have a HoF career and win multiple SBs.

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #22

dashall wrote:
I just hate the idea of getting rid of Gates so quickly. You know he will be picked up by another team and have a HoF career and win multiple SBs.

I think they should give Gates a chance but if he can't beat out the players that you mentioned then what can the Dolphins do? They can keep him in camp but you just know the Patriots or Jets would snatch him up. maybe with the new offensive scheme the Dolphins will carry more receivers?
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #23

• dashall
  • Veteran
DolphinsFreak wrote:
dashall wrote:

I think they should give Gates a chance but if he can't beat out the players that you mentioned then what can the Dolphins do? They can keep him in camp but you just know the Patriots or Jets would snatch him up. maybe with the new offensive scheme the Dolphins will carry more receivers?

True. So true. Can't keep a guy just to keep him. If there is someone better you got to go with the guy that will contribute the most and help us win.

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #24

dashall wrote:
How many WRs we will carry this year is unknown. But when you look at the roster you can easily see that there are more WRs than slots available. Who stays and who goes will be worked out over the summer.

Then we drafted two:

Mathews and Cunningham

I think you should pay attention to one undrafted player if you play fantasy football: Jeff Fuller. I'm not saying you should put him atop your late-round-flyer draft list; I'm just saying you should watch Dolphins training camp and see if he can win a job in an offense that will be struggling to find downfield weapons after the trade of Brandon Marshall.

In October, Fuller, of Texas A&M, was a legitimate first-round prospect. Then, as the 2011 season progressed, he seemed to drop more balls than he caught, he lost confidence, and bombed at the Senior Bowl. When I was in Miami last weekend, I could tell coach Joe Philbin had a blank-slate philosophy with everyone on the roster, which will hold Fuller in good stead. That plus he'll be catching the ball from his college quarterback, Ryan Tannehill, and having the plays called by his college coach, Mike Sherman. Maybe the dropsies will be terminal for Fuller. But if he catches the ball well in training camp, he's absolutely an NFL-caliber receiver.

10 guys fighting for 5 or 6 spots. It will be interesting. Ross Tucker had something interesting to say about the draft. He said vets really don't care who the team drafts as long as it is not someone the plays their position.

We will probably have the youngest WR corps in the NFL. I think Bess and Hartline are locks to make the roster. Lets assume we will keep 6 WR's. That leaves 4 open spots. As of now I would say its a crapshoot as to who will fill the remaining 4 spots. It will all depend on how they perform in training camp and the preseason.

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #25

• dashall
  • Veteran
virginiadolfan wrote:
dashall wrote:

Then we drafted two:

Mathews and Cunningham

We will probably have the youngest WR corps in the NFL. I think Bess and Hartline are locks to make the roster. Lets assume we will keep 6 WR's. That leaves 4 open spots. As of now I would say its a crapshoot as to who will fill the remaining 4 spots. It will all depend on how they perform in training camp and the preseason.

It will be interesting to see what our roster make up finally looks like. WR numbers could depend on TEs kept on the roster as well. Unless we cut Garrard we have to keep 3 QBs active as well. That is something that will eat a roster spot. Last year we had 2 active and 1 on PS. No way RT is going on the PS (I would quit the Dolphins if the FO tried to sneak him on the PS...stop it, that is to absurd to think about) Anyway, just something to think about.

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #26

[quote="dashall"It will be interesting to see what our roster make up finally looks like. WR numbers could depend on TEs kept on the roster as well. Unless we cut Garrard we have to keep 3 QBs active as well. That is something that will eat a roster spot. Last year we had 2 active and 1 on PS. No way RT is going on the PS (I would quit the Dolphins if the FO tried to sneak him on the PS...stop it, that is to absurd to think about) Anyway, just something to think about.[/quote]
-------------------

I brought up the possibility of keeping 3 QB's on the active roster before. It will be interesting to see if we do. It seems most teams only keep 2. That is easy to do if you have a certain starter. Not so easy in our case. That spot will have to come from somewhere.

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #27

• dashall
  • Veteran
[quote="Fins4ever" post=134239]dashall wrote:

-------------------

I brought up the possibility of keeping 3 QB's on the active roster before. It will be interesting to see if we do. It seems most teams only keep 2. That is easy to do if you have a certain starter. Not so easy in our case. That spot will have to come from somewhere.

Garrard got a signing bonus but his salary is not guaranteed. One thing I caught somewhere was to not be surprised to see Matt Moore traded. Not sure where I heard that. Yeah, about 1/3 of the teams last year went with 2 active QBs. We were one of them.

Re: WR number game 2 years, 2 months ago #28

[quote="dashall" post=134267]Fins4ever wrote:
dashall wrote:

-------------------

Garrard got a signing bonus but his salary is not guaranteed. One thing I caught somewhere was to not be surprised to see Matt Moore traded. Not sure where I heard that. Yeah, about 1/3 of the teams last year went with 2 active QBs. We were one of them.

----------------------

QB wise, this will be one of the most competitive, exciting camps in A LONG, LONG time.

If Garrard really impresses I could possibly see Moore getting traded for the right deal. Then we just have to pray their are no serious injuries to Garrard.
  • Page:
Moderators: ONole1, Dolfan1
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds